On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 4:05 AM J M  wrote:

> Some examples that I view that can do Cygwin better by default:
>
> tput colors
> 8
>
> echo $TERM
> xterm

I made my mintty changes by point & click experimentation - if you
want to make system-wide changes the place to do that is in
/etc/minttyrc
  https://github.com/mintty/mintty/wiki/Tips
  Configuring mintty
  For its configuration, it reads configuration files in this order:
      /etc/minttyrc
      ... etc.

$ grep -i term .minttyrc
Term=xterm-256color

$ tput colors
256

$ echo $TERM
xterm-256color

> And if use vim, comparing with one Ubuntu terminal:
>
> I need to set "set mouse-=a" because the copy paste is difficult.
> The colors are very bright.
> The cursor does not look good when doing a search and moves over the yellow
> background text.
>
> What settings would I need to make it look like Ubuntu's vim?

I'd suggest doing a 'man vim' to find out where all the possible
configuration files are & then copy them to your cygwin machine.

Regards,
Lee