Thank you all for your help.  We pursued all that was recommended and
still ran into the error: cron : PID 3784 : starting service `cron'
failed: execv: 128, Transport endpoint is not connected.

Since invoking it command line was successful we put a wrapper in place
that executes cron and added the wrapper as a service.  cron is now
working.  For the issue where crontab assumes that SYSTEM is the owner
of the cron service and leaves the contents of the /var/cron/tabs as 640
with a group of SYSTEM we also created a wrapper that changes the
permission to 644.

Here is the detail of what we have put into place and provided to the
release engineer:

overview:
        - create local user called 'svccron'
        - set up permissions for local user
        - create wrappers for cron/crontab
        - add wrapped cron as service
        - set up schedules

execute the following within a bash shell:

        - create local user called 'svccron'

        net user svccron <passwd> /add /yes
        net localgroup <administrators_group_name> svccron /add
        editrights -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege -u svccron
        editrights -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege -u svccron
        editrights -a SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege -u svccron
        editrights -a SeServiceLogonRight -u svccron
        mkpasswd -l -u svccron >> /etc/passwd

        for security reasons:
        editrights -a SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight -u svccron
        editrights -a SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u svccron
        editrights -a SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight -u svccron

        - create wrapper for cron - attached 'xcron'/contents below
        - install in /usr/sbin
        - change permissions for xcron
        $ chmod 744 /usr/sbin/xcron

        $ cat /usr/sbin/xcron
        #!/usr/bin/bash
        /usr/sbin/cron -D

        $ ls -l /usr/sbin/xcron
        -rwxr-xr-x    1 devadm   Domain U       34 Sep 10 14:03
/usr/sbin/xcron

        - create wrapper for crontab - attached 'xcrontab'/contents
below
        - install in /usr/bin
        - change permissions for xcrontab
        $ chmod 744 /usr/bin/xcrontab

        $ cat /usr/bin/xcrontab
        #!/usr/bin/bash
        /usr/bin/crontab $@;
        xval=$?;
        chmod 644 /var/cron/tabs/$USER;
        exit $xval;

        $ ls -l /usr/bin/xcrontab
        -rwxr-xr-x    1 devadm   Domain U       90 Sep 10 13:58
/usr/bin/xcrontab

        - add wrapped cron as service
        $ cygrunsrv -I xcron -p /usr/sbin/xcron -a -u svccron -w
<passwd>

        - execute following as user for which tasks need to be scheduled
        $ xcrontab -e

        - for details
        $ man 5 crontab

Regards,