Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Christopher Faylor
Sent: 01 February 2005 14:57

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 03:20:54PM +0200, Jani Tiainen wrote:

list-subscriber kirjoitti:

Hello Cygwin Gurus,

Our cygwin mirror is on a linux box running trustix secure linux
version 2.0. I decided to upgrade to trustix secure linux 2.2 and
as I was about to created a bootdisk for a network install, I
inadvertently typed:

[clipped very sad thing that happened]

Since this really doesn't involve Cygwin in any other way than files
are part of Cygwin, you're better to ask your question in some Linux
spesific group about such a problem.

While I sympathize with the problem, this is a correct assessment.

It doesn't make any sense to ask for linux help in any type of cygwin
mailling list.

But those were *CYGWIN* files on his linux system's HD! So it *IS*
on-topic! And there *HAS TO* be a secret way to recover HD partition
maps when there are cygwin-related files on the partition and *YOU*
won't tell him because *YJM!*

Sure. And we can further explore the delicious meanness of this situation
once this thread is properly (squaaaawk) TITTTLed.
Igor

You cygwin guys are just great! I've been subscribed to the list for three years now and I get annoyed with the OT posts that other users that point out. Some of the OT mails get responses that demonstrate the meannness of the cygwin maintainers, and honelstly, I am entertained, thinking that the OT poster must probably very annoyed at the responses, which usually doesn't make him respond anymore.

Truth to tell, I was annoyed by cgf, Igor, and Dave's responses and that was great since, for the first time, I experienced the meanness of this list, which is nice and entertaining.

... and entertaining :)

It's just 1.44 mb written on /dev/hda. I'll just be looking for the partition maps at /proc/kcore or re-write some supreblocks...

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.