On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Trei, Peter wrote:

> I was living in Britain (and of an allowance-recieving age) when
> decimalization
> occured. While we lost the big penny, we gained the 50p piece. In those
> days,
> it was a large, heavy, seven-sided coin, bigger than a US half-dollar, and
> worth
> $1.20. It felt good in your pocket. Since then, the Brits have shrunk it to
> much smaller size. Do they still call the 1 pound coins 'maggies'?

I have been living in the UK for 17 years and have never heard this term.

Younger people aren't sure who Maggie is anyway ;-)

(15-year old daughter sitting next to me:

        "Who's Maggie?"

and then

        "Why would a pound be called Margaret Thatcher?"

)
--
Jim Dixon  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881
---------- THAT'S A CHANGE OF ADDRESS: I'm no longer [EMAIL PROTECTED] --------