At 1:20 PM -0700 on 5/13/02, Morlock Elloi wrote:

>> Go after those who already _know_ they need untraceability. Go
>> after  niches where VALUE >> COST. Don't try to argue that the
>> world needs to  replace its multi-billion dollar infrastructure of
>
> The question is  - are there enough of these to justify
> development. Or maybe they all already have their private
> cryptographers.

And, thus, nobody will ever use the stuff. The market for criminal
behavior is trivial. Puny. Nonexistent, and getting smaller all the
time, no matter what political crises we face, or, paradoxically, how
much our nation-states write more laws.  If something's financially
useful then it gets used. And I think strong financial cryptography
protocols are financially useful, they reduce the risk adjusted
transaction cost of moving money on the net, and thus the
risk-adjusted transaction cost of money itself, since money's going
to be increasingly moved around on the internet instead of closed
proprietary networks that can't scale nearly as big as the net can.

> Classic cypherpunk pipe dream is a dot-com syndrome - very low cost
> software/devices - billions will use it - we'll (get rich & laid |
> save the world).

Wrong, Little Lord Morlock. The classic cypherpunk pipe dream is to
smash the state and kill cops ;-) using strong crypto to free us all.
Most of the people who ended up trying to make money on this stuff
already left to go do it, or graduated from college or grad school
and got day jobs. Except for the odd fool who keeps sticking around
out of boredom or masochism...

> The only other feature of untraceable money which may get larger
> market attention - untaxability - is effectively preempted by
> relatively low taxes. 40% cumulative tax rate is not enough reason,
> for most well-off, to risk trusting scrambled bits on the wire.

Right, though I'm sure you're wishing it wasn't. Again, crime,
illegal markets if you will are piddly bits of pocket fluff in the
global economy. $4 trillion worth of foreign exchange alone happened
today. Criminal activity is in the tens of billions, max, a year.
And, as you note, marginal tax rates are coming down everywhere, and
all the countries which controlled business as a de facto criminal
activity, except three or four totaling a non-material percentage of
the world's total population, went out of business themselves a
decade or more ago. Not counting academia, of course. ;-).

> In other words, crypto already happened, all those who need it
> already have it.

Crypto is still happening. It will be the lifeblood of the world's
commerce, and it will be *the* most important economic technology in
less than a decade, if it doesn't happen sooner than that.

I'll give you a hint, Lord Morlock: How do you expect to control
property without laws? With cryptography. Financial cryptography. And
why? Because it will be cheaper than doing it with lawyers and state
monopolies on force. As Ronald Coase said in the 1920's and Hernando
De Soto reasserts to this day, private property is the first cause of
*any* economy, and financial cryptography will enable title to all
kinds of property, any asset, information goods and services,
manufactured goods, real estate, commodities, and of course, any
financial instrument, to be traded, instantly, for ridiculously
cheaper than the way we do it now.

That's what people will call "cryptography" 50 years from now, not
secret messages in pissant power squabbles between tyrants and their
prototyrannical political opponents.

> Maybe the current proliferation of "find out what your spouse does
> online" spams will gradually create a need.

Right. The Bastille's over there, Morelock. Have fun. Don't forget to
wear your silly hat.

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>