[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Thousands of teachers will not be able to take classes at the start
> > > of the new term because character checks on them will not have been
> > > completed, the government has admitted.
[...]
> This is in the context of a knee jerk reaction to an apparent murder
> case of two young girls where one of the two accused worked in the
> girl's school.

The requirement for background checks was in place long before the murder
(and the local paper said both the accused had passed them - the man
accused of the murder worked as a caretaker at the village college, and
the woman accused of perverting the course of justice as a classroom
assistant at the girls' school). (I live in a village next to Soham).

The case has presumably influenced how seriously the checks are taken,
though there are reports of some schools trying to skip them to get
teachers working in time.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/story/0,7369,780573,00.html

--
Alan Braggins  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.ncipher.com/
nCipher Corporation Ltd.  +44 1223 723600  Fax: +44 1223 723601