--
On 25 Sep 2002 at 18:36, Neil Johnson wrote:
> Hey don't forget you can still buy a smart card reader from
> that most cypherpunkish of babes BRITNEY SPEARS ! Only $30 !
>
>     https://www.visiblevisitors.com/mltest/order_form.asp

A previous poster suggested that the smart card industry had
usuability problems.  If these guys are selling to that market,
they must have solved those problems -- or believe that they
have.

On 24 Sep 2002 at 19:12, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Eventually the clients discover how much of a bitch they are
> to work with [....] users decide to live with software-only
> crypto until the smart card scene is a bit more mature.

Smartflash is supposed to be plug and play, no installation, no
configuration.  You just plug it into a usb port, poke your
card into the reader and a browser window pops up, and takes
you to the web page for that smartcard.  If any software is
needed, then it is in the form of activeX component, which
means that the only installation interface is "Do you trust
this software from so-and-so?"

When Chaumian money comes into wide use, I think that for most
end users we will have to stash all unused tokens inside
smartcards.  However, because of the critical mass problem,
initial deployment for small payments cannot rely on such
means, though initial deployment for large payments could.

Unfortunately, deployment of uncrippled chaumian cash for large
payments is likely to be illegal in most jurisdictions.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     zA52k2I/yOV3JjdMnqwOFMq4Io7yMmdhp7IVzbUE
     48lR0zT5ZoHjtDYfcW0+xmlo00w3DS04U9nsJblFq