"I assume everyone knows the little arrangement that lotus
reached with the NSA over its encrypted secure email?"

I'm new here, so do tell if I am wrong. Are you referring to the two levels
of Encryption available in Bogus Notes? (ie, the North American and the
International, the International being "legal for export".)
At one of my previous employers, we were told the (apocryphal?) story of
some dude who got arrested on an airplane for having the more secure version
of Notes on his laptop.