> David Howe[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> >> "I assume everyone knows the little arrangement that lotus
> >> reached with the NSA over its encrypted secure email?"
> > I'm new here, so do tell if I am wrong. Are you referring to the two
> levels
> > of Encryption available in Bogus Notes?
> More or less, yes. Lotus knew nobody would buy a 40 bit version of their
> crypto, so there is a two-level encryption all right, but not along
> those lines - in the export version, some of the session key is
> encrypted using a PKI "work reduction factor" key in the message header;
> this section of header is important, as lotus gateways won't accept
> messages that have had it disturbed. by decoding this block, the NSA
> have the actual keysize they need to block reduced to the legal export
> level of 40 bits; one government found this out *after* rolling it out
> to all their billing and contract negotiation departments... belgum or
> sweden by memory . Lotus thought it would be ok if only the NSA (and
> other US government orgs) could break the key, rather than letting
> everyone have an equal chance (and indeed, letting their customers know
> their crypto was still only 40 bit vs USA intel agencies)
> Still, even the domestic version was only 64 bits, which is painfully
> small even by the standards of the day. certainly, even "strong" lotus
> could have been crackable by the NSA, who after all own their own fab
> plant to make custom VLSI cracking chips.

It was Sweden. They didn't really have an excuse - over a year earlier,
Lotus announced their "International" version with details of the "Work
Factor Reduction Field" at the RSA Conference. I immediately invented
the term 'espionage enabled' to describe this feature, a term which has
entered the crypto lexicon.

Peter Trei