On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Steve Schear wrote:

> >Further, are there any known defenses against this kind of passive
> >technology yet?
>
> For cellular-based passive, I imagine sending in a few cell tower-targeted
> cruise missiles in before an impending attack would do the trick.

Given advent of ad hoc wireless (801.11* and also cellular) you don't need
immobile infrastructure. A cloud of devices would do as emitters (I doubt
people would allow their devices to be used for distributed crunch and
detectors, given the drain on battery and ease of detection of HF
radiation).

> >Solitary surveillance aircrafts would surely have a harder time achieving
> >countermeasures than a person on a cellphone amongst a crowd of
> >bystanders. Intereference?
>
> The DoD has spent decades and billions of dollars building electronic
> countermeasures.  I'd be surprised if they couldn't desensitize the cell
> tower receivers (if that's where the surveillance receivers are located)
> from a high altitude aircraft.

EMPing or NEMPing the place would seem like a good start. The more hi-tech
the adversary, the greater the effect.