On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 10/30/2002 +0100, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >   Speaking of jamming, I've thought for a long time that a
> >portable jamming device would be very nice to have. Something
> >that jammed *all* frequencies, or at least everything from
> >10 or maybe 6 meters on up, to a range of a mile or so at
> >least.
> >   Anyone have any idea how difficult this would be to do?
> >And what the power requirements would be?
>
> Frequencies don't get jammed, specific communications channels between
> specific devices may.   The analysis would have to include the type of
> signals involved and the distances, antenna orientations and gains between
> particular devices.  The short answer is next to impossible and not without
> costs and resources of a government.

Build a Jacob's ladder running at 10kV and 1/2 an amp.  That'll wipe out
most AM and FM transmissions below 10GHz for a range of maybe 500 to 750
meters radius.  You can't easily jam lasers, you need to know where they
are.  And it is difficult to jam code division spread spectrum too, but
if you can get close to the receiving antenna you can make it hard to find
any transmitters for a while.

But you will be noticed :-)

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike