On Saturday 02 November 2002 12:09, Adam Shostack wrote:
> An interesting tidbit in the September Information Security Bulletin
> is the claim from MessageLabs that only .005% of the mail they saw in
> 2002 is encrypted, up from .003% in 2000.
>
> ... Last month, about
> 5% of my email was sent PGP encrypted, about 2% STARTTLS encrypted,
> and about 25% SSH encrypted to people on the same mail server, where
> POP and IMAP only function via SSH.
>
> I'd be interested to hear how often email content is protected by any
> form of crypto, including IPsec, Starttls, ssh delivery, or PGP or
> SMIME.  There's probably an interesting paper in going out and
> looking at this.

Well, here's a datum for you: in the past four or five months, I have
sent exactly no encrypted email. There are several reasons, notably
that most of my email correspondents are business types who can't
handle encryption even after several lessons and checklists and even
when the tools are integrated into the MUA.

Prior to that, the encrypted email I've sent in the past year or so has
almost always failed, because of version incompatibilities, human
error, changes of email address, and what-not. Or because the recipient
simply isn't bothering to decrypt mail any more because it's more
trouble than it's worth for the low quality of information conveyed.

The only business environment I've ever worked in which successfully
used encrypted email mandated specific versions of mail client
(Outlook, ecch) and PGP (integrated into Outlook), had a jackbooted
thug to make sure everyone's keyring was up to date, and had a fairly
small (couple dozen), mostly technically proficient, user base. And
even there, half the time the encrypted message wasn't sensitive enough
to be worth encrypting nor important enough to be worth decrypting.

I have signed a few messages in the recent past, but that was probably
even less worthwhile than encrypting them. For all I know, not a single
one has been verified.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

Vote Idiotarian --- it's easier than thinking