At 12:35 PM -0800 11/1/02, John Kelsey wrote:
>At 09:32 PM 10/31/02 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>>If the attackers/hijackers cannot get into the cockpit and gain control
>>of the plane, then the most they can do with disabling/lethal/nerve
>>gases is to cause the plane to essentially crash randomly...which kills
>>a few hundred people, but probably not many more.
>>
>>Which is yet another reason why securing the cockpit door very, very
>>well is the single most important, and cheapest, solution.
>
>Hmmm.  I agree, but if the attackers chose the right time (while the
>plane's on autopilot) to release the gas or whatever, they might have an
>hour or two to get through the cockpit door, with no resistance at all from
>the now-dead passengers or crew.

I expect that in most cases, ATC would be concerned about no contact for an
hour.  In the modern age, that might be enough to scramble a fighter to go
up and take a look.  (A number of years ago, there was a case where a
pilot, presumably asleep, flew right past Los Angles, over the Pacific
ocean, and crashed.  ATC was very concerned, but couldn't do anything to
wake the pilot.)

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | The principal effect of| Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | DMCA/SDMI is to prevent| 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | fair use.              | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA