> Tyler Durden[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote
>

> But from your previous email, you indicated that the secure IPSEC tunnel
> is
> created by taking the packets, encrypting S/A, D/A, payload and protocol
> fields (ie, pretty much everything) and then dumping them into the payload
>
> of another packet, and setting the Protocol field of the parent-packet to
> "IPSEC". All that is now visible are the firewall addresses.
>
> That's a lot, methinks! In other words, there's practically a bright red
> flag sticking up saying "I'm encrypted! Look over here!"...it's child's
> play
> (well, if you consider making an ASIC child's play!) to then look at the
> S/A
> and D/a to see if they are interesting. If they belong to the IP spaces of
>
> two large companies, for instance, then look elsewhere (though I hear
> rumors
> that the NSAs of the world are branching out into industrial eavesdropping
>
> for their parent companies, ehr, for their parent countries).
>
> If a secure VPN tunnel forms between al-Jazeera's firewall and, say, some
> ISP near Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn (heavy Arab community), then all
> sorts
> of spyglasses could pop up.

The title of this thread is "What email encryption is actually in use?". I
posted
that a lot intra-company email often goes over encrypted VPNs between
worksites, and that this should be considered in trying to figure out how
much
email is encrypted.

After some back and forth to educate you on how IPSEC tunneling works, you
now understand, but it turns out that that was not what you were interested
in.

VPNs no more raise a red flag than does any other form of encrypted
communication without steganography.  If your threat model includes
end-point identification, then use alt.anonymous.messages. If traffic
analysis is also a worry, use stego.

VPNs are probably responsible for more encrypted traffic than
anything else on the net, and meet corporate threat models
very well. If your threat model is different, you may need a different
solution.

Peter Trei