On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Tyler Durden wrote:

> used for useful computation will suffer from incompletenenss, so I would
> assume "para-consistent logic" would fall under that category (is that
> similar to fuzzy logic?).

Not really. Para-consistent logic is the study of logical schemas or
systems in which the fundamental paradigms are paradoxes. It's a way of
dealing with logical situations in which true/false can't be determined
even axiomatically. Very real world...

Fuzzy logic (or fuzzy anything else for that matter) is simply statistics
applied to some heretofore deterministic/non-heuristic field. I think of
it as playing hand grenades or horse shoes ;)

You could do fuzzy para-consistent logic if you wanted to (though I can't
figure out what I'd want to use it for to be honest). "Assume that two or
more of your axioms are in conflict some percentage of the time..." Sounds
more like a problem out of rational agent bargaining and auctions to me
...perhaps there is an app there after all.

> I have not, however, heretofore considered that there could exist systems
> that had some form of completeness built in. My intuition (which is easily
> wrong) tells me that no such system could ever be useful in the real world,
> but who the heck knows?

Until Godel almost everyone thought mathematics was it...

Whether it's useful or not isn't the question, the question is can it
exist? And the answer is a universal 'No' (or seems to be at this point
anyway).

    We don't see things as they are,                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org