Having read the article I can't help but consider more benign reasons
for its removal...

1. It's not funny.

2. It's jokes are in pretty poor taste.

3. Michael Bay got his lawyers to send a letter to the Onion.

The situation raises a mildly interesting issue.  The Onion, for
whatever reason (nefarious or not), decided they wanted to pull the
article.  However, they obviously failed as I was able to read it.
Google's link still works even now.

I wonder: if The Onion were to attempt to pull an article due to a court
order, or some such, and yet the article persisted in various caches
here and there, to what extent could The Onion be charged with not
complying with the order?

Another angle: If Bay threatened to sue the Onion unless they pulled the
article, would he still have a case against them because of Google's cache?

                M.