Harmon Seaver writes:
>    Anyone know anything about Akamai (www.akamai.com, also
> akamaitechnologies.com)? I was getting about a zillion hits on my web
server
> from them this morning. They seem to offer services to gov't agencies
according
> to their website.

Their main service is serving static content, so as to reduce the load on
their client's servers and improve response time.  Originally almost all
they did was deliver graphics.  Their clients would place graphics on
Akamai's servers and their html would point to Akamai's servers for images.
Now they can put together content within an HTML page based on "edge-side
includes" (http://www.esi.org).  They also serve streaming formats for their
clients.

None of that would explain why they were hitting your site.  Perhaps they
are working on client-caching or a search engine.