On 13 Dec 2002, Sleeping Vayu wrote:

> Uh...I'd point out that this is no coincidence. The Conpiracy Theorist
> would say that the War on Drugs was precisely the CIA's way to keep
> its own drug prices high and continue funding their own little
> activites.

Plausible.

> Oh, and aside from the fatass oil pipeline they've wanted to build in
> Afghanistan, guess another little resource that Afghanistan has
> produced in the past (and that the Taliban had cracked down on)?
>
> Yeah--you got it--Poppies...and now that the Warlords are back in
> charge the cash crop is back.

Remember that it was the US which encouraged the Taliban to crack down on
the cultivation of Afghanistan poppies. A gift of several million US
dollars convinced the Taliban to ban the farming of poppies, depriving the
Afghani farmers of their livlihood, while not impacting the world drug
trade (the Taliban wisely retained stock-piles of processed crop, ready
for price-fixing.)

Oil might have something to do with the US's interest in being
Afghanistan's puppeteer, but it is unlikely that opium does as well.

-MW-