---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:21:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Rocketry - Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     Rocketry - North Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     Rocketry - Waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     Rocketry-Texas-Hpr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
     TRA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [texas-hpr] My first run-in with the Safe Explosives Act

I went to the local gun store today to get a can of
4F.  I thought I would pass along the experience.

The person that waited on me happened to be one of the
owners.  She asked me what I was going to use it for.
I told her model rocket ejection charges, and I asked
her why she wanted to know.  She said that they had
been advised to ask, but I gave an acceptable answer,
so I could buy.  I told her that the model rocket
community was under the impression that the law was
not going into effect until March, but that some
paperwork changes were happening in January.  She said
they had been advised that all changes were effective
immediately.

I then told her that I thought gunpowder was what was
getting regulated more, not black powder.  Another
salesman came up and told me that it was actually the
opposite.  They could leave gunpowder out on the
shelf, but black powder had to be stored in a
magazine.

I asked the owner where they got their magazine.  She
said she had no idea where they got it because they
had had it for so long.  The salesman said it was just
a big welded steel box with locks on it.

She said (with much irony) that I looked dangerous.  I
told her (also with much irony) that everyone knew
Osama was hiding out in a model rocket club somewhere.

This exchanged brought another unhappy thought to
mind.  Even if we win the lawsuit over APCP, the BATF
will still happily jump on us for igniters and
ejection charges.  A different solution will have to
be found for those.  They are so much smaller in
volume that maybe someone in each club can have a LEUP
and keep a magazine just for everyone's igniters and
ejection charges.

Jim Parker