As an user of SpeakFreely (7.2 on Windows, stillcan't get my USB headset
to work properly with SF 7.3 on Linux) I've got the following three items
on my wish list. (Hey, I wasn't naughty this year. Honest).

1) built-in PKI support, with fallback to clear. Right now it uses some
   obscure PGP version, and probably doesn't even ask key servers. In
   practise it's much easer to agree on an IDEA of Blowish key -- but it's
   not an out of band communication, and if you don't switch to the same
   key synchronously one party is going to have her eardrums blasted with
   LOUD digital noise. I think it would be simplest to use SSL, with
   PGP (7.2 doesn't support GPG apparently) support left in for those
   parties who need it.

   I must stress that currently using crypto means:

   1) people asking you to do some complicated operations on your end,
      while you're unsure why (you just wanted to talk, why does this
      other party asks me this for? what are his motives?)
   2) using some rather technical lingo (have you ever tried explaining
      what cryptography is to a houswife from the Emirates? And why she
      possibly can get in trouble using it? (She doesn't, I looked up the
      crypto regulations for her country)).
   3) if you comply, you get blasted with LOUD SCARY NOISE

   As you can see, here's some heavy negative conditioning at work here,
   making the average user associate crypto with pushy geeks asking you to
   do technical stuff at your end and then get blasted by scary loud noise
   for your pains. Ugh, not again, thanks.

2) Voice Activation with default threshold set to zero as default.
   Push-to-talk is annoying as hell, and should be the optional mode, not
   the other way round.

3) A realtime display of current lag time (bar and/or numeric) would be
   very nice.
   Lag is unpredictable, and varies over time. Ping/pong protocol at meat
   level is very annoying, especially if one have to instruct some
   clueless party on the other end first, through a link that doesn't
   work like your average phone.

4) Did I say three? Four, FOUR things. Even with current small user
   community one will frequently get talked by new users debugging their
   setup (see points 2-3 to make it easier), or some teenagers who're out
   to annoy. It would be nice to have a realtime public "phonebook" with
   geographical separations, and ability to block connections from some
   parties.

   This point is currently very unimportant, though.