It's ironic that the State itself will finally provide a clear reason to the masses
for using strong crypto.

The fatherland defense hysteria is fueling the privacy concerns - and mainly because
people are afraid of errors when humonguous apparatus starts sifting through their
data. It is like situation when a pig enters the highway: you know that he will stop
someone in the next few minutes no matter what - you just don't want to be there.

I have been asked about PGP more often in the last few months by god-fearing and
law-abiding than in the last few years. This is a good sign.

The down side is the concern that they will be doing something unusual. Since there is
no mass use of PGP, crypto users do stand out - all 23,000 of us regular users
worldwide are well mapped, charted and identified. I don't have a good answer for
this. What novice users really want is ANONYMOUS use of crypto, so that they don't
raise flags. Then I have to explain about anonymous remailers, whose reliability is
nowhere near regular smtp e-mail. The only remaining option is use of public-access
internet terminals.

(unrelated, I noticed that there is no un-crippled free version of PGP for windows XP
any more - 8.0 beta expired)

What are the possible technical solutions ?

Virus that automagically installs and configures pgp? It would provide an excellent
excuse to many.

Someone mentioned software that would monitor mail traffic (via 802.11* ?) and send "I
can see you" e-mails to all (From, To, Cc) parties.

But I feel that the real solution will be detentions of non-combatants based upon
erroneus interpretations of the captured traffic.