On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, James A. Donald wrote:

> On the other hand, our inability to emulate a nematode, or the

At individual level? We're lacking data. There are slices of the worm
(<http://leitl.org/worm.png>, raw tiff is about 32 MBytes) from Durbin's
work, and a few reconstructions, but there is no 3d assembly from a single
individual.

Nevertheless the entire circuit is known, and useful models exist. Have
you seen NemaSys? <http://www.csi.uoregon.edu/projects/celegans/>
It will be continued shortly. In general you'll find things with the worm
don't look all that bleak:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=elegans+simulation&btnG=Google+Search>

> a portion of the retina, is grounds for concern.  This does not
> indicate that the mystery is QM, but does suggest that there is
> some mystery -- some special quality either of individual
> neurons or very small networks of neurons that we have not yet
> grasped.

There's no mystery. There's just lots of hard work to be done if you want
to model it from first principles (xref Virtual Cell and E-Cell). If you
just want to model a few seconds or minutes of a network you have to
characterize it first. With current technology, this results in producing
and processing lots of TEM micrograph from tissue slices. We're talking
about man-years of highly skilled operators and ditto grad students. And
since this has been done before, no one is going to repeat it on a whole
critter.

> It is unsurprising that with current computing power we should
> be unable to emulate an ant, but inability to emulate a
> nematode is troubling.

The crunch power is there. We're lacking a good enough model, and
empirical data to feed that nonexisting model. Given that economy has
tanked, and that the future for Comp. Sci. is not all that starry-eyed
anymore perhaps we'll more bright people go into sciences instead of after
the quick buck in the industry.