On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Tim May wrote...
>
> "I don't believe, necessarily, in certain forms of the Copenhagen
> Interpretation, especially anything about signals propagating
> instantaneously,

'instantaneously' from -whose- perspective?

> Yes, this has been a fashionable set of statements, very smiliar to "quantum
>  mechanics is merely a useful tool for calclating the outcome of
> experiments".

Only so long as there are -not- relativistic effects, which -do- happen
-any- time a photon is involved.

***Reality is -observer- dependent***

The major hole in -all- current QM systems is they do not take into
account relativistic effects. Which are required -any time- a photon is
involved.

> I used to chant this too, but the recent (well, over the last 10 years)
> experimental work in EPR has convinced me that there's really something
> odd going on here.
>
> "Many worlds" (first proposed in the 50s and recently revived) is one
>  possible explanation for why, for instance, photons in the double slit
> experiment "know" about the slit they didn't go through. And while I am
> not particularly convinced that this is the explanation (there are other
> basic things about the QM world it doesn't explain, such as why I
> measure THIS outcome rather than THAT outcome), I'm personally at the
> point where I think some form of answer is needed, and that the above
> intellectual dodge is no longer valid. So at least many worlds is one
> possible attempt to answer why photons are able to "know"
> instantaneously about correlated photons far removed (and for me, and
> the late John Bell it is inescapable that they do indeed find out
> instantaneously).

The error in this approach is not into taking account the relativity of
the experiment. From the traditional approach we are testing the photon
with the instrument, -but- the photon is also testing the instrument.

How big is the slit -from the perspective of the photon-? In other words;
how big is the cosmos to a signle photon?

The answer is it has no dimension. Now since there is no time or distance
scale from the perspective of the photon exactly -what- is happening
instantaneously? Answer, nothing.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org