At 10:44 AM 1/13/03 -0800, you wrote:
If you've got your brother counting the votes,
and you can prevent anybody else from counting them,
then you don't need to cancel elections.
Personally, I was shocked, *shocked*, to see the supreme court make a decision on the basis of politics instead of a careful reading of the constitution.

To get back to the broader point of the previous poster, I'm honestly a lot less creeped out by the idea that Bush has the power to order people assassinated or disappeared (though obviously that's a really bad thing) than with the idea that, sooner or later, that power is going to get spread out to a whole bunch of people, some of whom will be getting their performance evaluated based on how many suspected terrorists they've had killed or disappeared. "Gee, Fred, you're showing up to work on time, you're filling your paperwork out properly, but I'm afraid you're just not being effective enough at rooting out Al Qaida operatives. I'm sure you can do better, though--just find me five operatives in the next week...."

--John Kelsey, [EMAIL PROTECTED]