At 04:25 PM 1/30/03 -0800, Eric Cordian wrote:
>http://msn.zdnet.com/zdfeeds/msncobrand/reviews/0,13828,2909517,00.html

>Dear Hollywood: Keep your hands off my DVDs
>By David Coursey, AnchorDesk

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting.

Of course, the DVD CCA owns the DVD trademark just like
Phillips etc. owns the CD logo, etc.  So you can sell a "DVD" player
(including soft players built on eg DeCSS) but you can't use the
official logo
if they won't let you play.  Its a private trademark affair.

Just like Sony can sell "CD"s that don't follow the Specs and don't play

on CD (tm) Players, but it is *criminal fraud* for any such artifact to
display the
official "CD" compatability logo.

TiVo can sell the same service too ---and since noone owns the word
"television"
they can still call their censor-channel-enabled boxes TVs.

My VCR tuner lets you block whole channels.
I can shut off the volume and play a different audio track.  Its still
called television.

Modulo trademark issues (only), the box builders win, the content and
copyright folks
have nothing.  (Except maybe a few congressvermin in their pockets.)