On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Michael Motyka wrote:

> Seems kindof like leaving the spare tire, jack, poncho and duck boots out of your
>car to
> save weight and space. It's fine except for that one day you get a flat while it's
>pouring
> freezing rain and there's 3 or 4 inches of slush on the ground. Overconfidence?
>Playing
> the odds rather than playing it safe?

Yes, they try to stack the odds in favor of safety (overly so I think),
but they had quite a few tile failures that didn't end in this level of
catastrophy.  One more data point.

> Bishop, CA wasn't it? That would be maybe 1000 miles or 4-5 minutes away from the
> catastrophic breakup in E TX. More than enough time to realize you're beyond screwed.

Yes.  Ground control didn't tell them they noticed something wrong for 2
minutes.  I don't know when radio blackout is, I think they had already
come thru that part.  But by the time the ground knew there was something
wrong, it was already way too late.

> I'm not a fan of the space program but yup, it's a bummer.

When it gets privatized, we'll have personal emergency re-entry shields
instead of poncho and boots.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike