Steve Shear and Tim May mention some interesting incidents. In Steve Shear's case, there's a mysterious absence of response:

"No one asked me about him, I never saw him again and none of the students said a word."

"Several days later three of his friends tried to jump me ....I never saw them again either, nor was I ever questioned about them by school administrators."

Well, obviously my following points will probably be met with scepticism (to say the least), but here goes.

If those same incidents had occurred in an all-white environment, most of the time there'd be hell to pay. People would freak out, and students expelled. In THESE cases, however, there's the tolerance and even expectation of bad behavior on the part of black students. While teaching in Brooklyn, I saw the same thing again and again: "You can't change them, that's the way they are." Even here, officials fail to respond for fear of political reprisals, while negative behavior is expected.

Of course, expectations don't FORCE a group to meet those expectations. So I'm not saying "people have no responsibility for their actions". But I AM pointing out that the non-response (of which the NYC High Schools are merely a giant example) is tainted with racism, and this racism gets magnified via the projecting lens (perhaps a camera lumina?) of institutions. So it basically takes whatever's already messed up and excacerbates the problem.

As for me, as I have mentioned on this list as a kid I lost a front tooth to a black fist. So, I started taking my GoJu lessons seriously. My GoJu Sensei was (and is) himself Black (and a former student of Peter Urban), as were 50% of the other students. And suffice it to say, he gave me what was necessary to see to it I never lost another tooth!
(BTW, he plays the bodygaurd for John Lone in "Year of the Dragon".)

-TD