At 02:30 PM 3/5/2003 -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>From: Somebody
>
>Technically, since their signal speed is slower than light, even
>transmission lines act as storage devices.
>
>Wire tapping is now legal.

The crucial difference, from a law enforcement perspective, is how hard
it is to get the requisite court order.  A stored message order is
relatively easy; a wiretap order is very hard.  Note that this
distinction is primarily statutory, not (as far as I know)
constitutional.

Furthermore, it's apparently not illegal for a non-governmental actor to retrieve stored information which they have access to, although it might be illegal for them to wiretap a communication even if they had access to the physical medium over which it travels.

I disagree with "Somebody"'s claim; I don't think that claim would go anywhere in court, since a transmission clearly falls under the category of "wire communication", and it's clear that transmission lines are the very entities the wiretap act has always been intended to protect, so Congress' intent is quite clear, regardless of any argument about "storage".

- Tim