Tom Veil wrote...

Otherwise, if the company really wanted such a dickheaded policy, then >yes, it would be their right. Of course, it would also be your right >to organize a boycott, take an alternate route, or build your own spur >route.

This is the general gist of the arguments and so far I'm not convinced. Here's my play-by-play:

Of course, it would also be your right to organize a boycott,

Seems impossible. Only a boycott with a nationwide information campaign would likely have much of an impact: trucks come from all over the country to cross the George Washington Bridge via the turnpike. Also, there are large numbers of individuals and busses that MUST cross the GWB to get people to work. I really doubt people are going to stop going to work for this boycott.

(And this is assuming the operating company gives a damn about the boycott. If there's no toll on the road, then the private company gets paid by the state even if no one rides it. So actually, a boycott lowers the maintenance expenses on the road.)

take an alternate route,

Well, let's assume there IS no alternate route. And in this case that is partly true. Or at least, any alternate routes would be quickly jammed if the boycott was even remotely successful, with the result being that there are still large numbers of people using that road.

(And of course, like above the operating company might actually LIKE people not using their road. Hell, maybe they engineered this whole event for that purpose...)

or build your own spur route.

Assuming I could amass the capital, there's the strong likelihood I wouldn't be able to get the zoning permits and whatnot. People are getting tired of perpetual roadwork in some towns. (This of course could headway into the traditional Libertarian handwaving arguments with respect to natural resources..."What Global Warming? Prove it!")

Sorry. Lotsa easy answers and big holes in logic with these arguments.

-TD