At 2:59 PM -0800 3/19/03, Tim May wrote:
>The greater threat is that access to one's home is impaired, or a car
>breakdown occurs, which is why carrying a bag in a vehicle makes so
>much sense: a shovel for digging out, a few blankets or a sleeping bag,
>water, a flashlight, flares and other road emergency supplies, maybe a
>GPS, a transistor radio, spare batteries, simple food rations, a few
>tools, and some small assortment of extra junk like duct tape, fishing
>line, wire, etc. And the gun I mentioned.

If you go to any of the National Parks with a bear problem (e.g.
Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Yosemite in California), be very careful what kind
of food you carry.  Bears have a very good sense of smell, can recognize
food packages, and have been known to tear the doors off cars to get to
food.  More annoyingly, they will check out anything that smells, including
hand lotion and toothpaste.

I don't think that canned food smells enough to cause a problem, but it
must be kept out of sight.  (The rangers may disagree with me here.  If any
of these kinds of things are in sight, you will get a notice on your car
(if you are lucky), or a ticket.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA