On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 01:45:03AM +0100, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> If someone manages to convince al-Jazeera editors to publish not only by
> upload to some server(s) but also by eg. emailing the updated files to
> several helpers who then either set up mirrors or put them to P2P networks
> (Freenet <http://freenet.sourceforge.net/> is especially suitable for this
> purpose, because of its inherent load-balancing capabilities).
[...]
> Are there any weaknesses in this scheme?

This might be an interesting way to explore identity, credibility, and
real-world PKI deployment.

In the real world, simply being capable of broadcasting a widely available
TV or satellite signal confers a certain amount of crediblity on the
broadcaster. At an oversimplified level, people assume that anyone with
the resources to do something like that are likely to have some sort of
a clue and a certain amount of reliability, because resources are unlikely
to remain in the possession of people who don't have those characteristics.

(I mean reliability in a judgement-neutral, descriptive way - not that
a person with resources is likely to be a "good person", just that their
behavior is predictable and has an underlying logic or motive.)

Random Freenet postings don't carry with them that implied authority or
credibility.

Part of what's interesting about al-Jazeera is that it's apparently an
attempt at creating an Arab CNN - so their credibility is important to
them.

How do people who download things from Freenet know that they're really
from the al-Jazeera that's got satellite time and reporters and
resources?

al-Jazeera - if they wanted to - could explore signing such posts
with some sort of PKI system, and use their existing media assets to
vouch for the authenticity of the signing key.

Are they going to do it? Seems unlikely to me - ultimately they're not
motivated by a desire to bring the truth to the world (or we wouldn't
trust them), they're motivated by a desire to make money, probably by
licensing their content to satellite operators, cable TV operators,
or by selling ad space/time to commercial sponsors. Freenet distribution
doesn't help them make money licensing content, and it's difficult to
sell ads if you don't have good data about viewership and their
demographics, given the attenuated relationship between media ads
and subsequent purchases.

I think Freenet solves your problem (how can you get access to
controversial content?) but I'm not sure it solves their problem
(how to support a high-demand high-risk content site with limited
resources). Remember that US media sites didn't cope with the
traffic generated by the 9/11 attacks very well, either, and there
probably wasn't a ton of hostile intent aimed their way, just
curiousity.

--
Greg Broiles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]