On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 18:24, R.W. (Bob) Erickson wrote:
> I''d dismiss the possibility that the universe exists for the express
> purpose of confounding me.

Much evidence to the contrary. My life is sucking pretty bad lately, due
to either a long series of fairly unlikely and uniformly unpleasant
coincidences or else the machinations of a malevolent universe set up
specifically to piss me off. Another possibility is that suggested by
the other RAH, the cosmology which presents all of us as mere characters
in the stories told by Authors, the multifarious and nefarious gods.