[Note from Matthew Gaylor:  Holland, Michigan just happens to be the
same city that the American Family Association (AFA) recently
attempted to force libraries to install filtering software
(censorware) on their Internet terminals.  An attempt that failed in
the polls.  This example is worse.  It seems that this kids greatest
crime was to speak favorably on the first and second amendments of
the Constitution.  A crime that the school district wishes to reward
him with by entry into the school's "Mentor" program, where he would
be studied by an adult supervisor who would monitor his thought
processes.  If the winters were not as bad as they are in Michigan,
I'd be tempted to move there to work full time to defeat these
Un-American assholes be they in the misnamed American Family
Association, or in this case, the public schools.]

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_dougherty/20000330_xnjdo_sixth_grad.shtml

BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
THURSDAY MARCH 30 2000

Sixth grader targeted for pro-gun remarks
'A' student defends 2nd Amendment, flagged as violence risk

By Jon E. Dougherty
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

School officials at Harbor Lights Middle School flagged a Holland, Michigan
boy as potentially dangerous because the 12-year-old suggested to a teacher
that one way to prevent school shootings would be to arm instructors.

Derek Loutzenheiser, a model student who had such good grades that some
teachers recommended he be tested early for a popular standardized
pre-college performance test, made his comments in early March, after being
asked by a social studies teacher what he thought might make kids safer in
school.

Derek had been asked to participate in a classroom discussion about "school
shootings and safety," said the sixth grader's father, Tim Loutzenheiser.

"My son simply stated that his opinion was that he would feel safer if some
of the adults at the school were trained and allowed to carry firearms,"
Mr. Loutzenheiser told WorldNetDaily.

His reply caused him to be "flagged" as a potential violence risk by
teachers and school administrators, who then contacted his parents to
suggest they meet with the school's "Hazard and Risk Assessment Team."

"My wife and I were in disbelief when they (school officials) telephoned us
and told us that's what they wanted to do," Loutzenheiser said. "We asked,
'Do you have the right kid?'"

In resulting talks with school officials, Loutzenheiser said he learned
that his son "often spoke favorably about the First and Second Amendments,
but the comment he made to his Social Studies teacher was the one that
triggered this action."

School officials told the couple that because of Derek's comments he should
be separated from the other students and forced to enter the school's
"Mentor" program, where he would be studied by an adult supervisor who
would monitor Derek's thought processes.

[snip]

Subscribe to Freematt's Alerts: Pro-Individual Rights Issues
Send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words subscribe FA
on the subject line. List is private and moderated (7-30 messages per month)
Matthew Gaylor,1933 E. Dublin-Granville Rd., PMB 176, Columbus, OH  43229
Archived at http://www.egroups.com/list/fa/