On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 11:21:01AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Some of these, such as template-less biometrics, are so new they are
> >little more than a theoretical sparkle in designers' imaginations, but
> >they are moving fast.
>
> Any idea what is meant by a "template-less biometric?"  In order to verify
> a person's identity, the live scan data must be compared with something,
>  i.e., a template.
>
> One can of course encrypt the template and prevent it from ever leaving
> a users's smart card.  You still need a template or other type of comparison
> record though, I would think.

The problem with keeping the template on the smartcard and not letting it
off is that you then have to do the template match on the card, and doing
the template match requires a lot of CPU powercompared to what current
smartcards have.  One system I'm familiar with needs a 50mhz processor
with floating point to do a template match in ~.2 second.  Smartcards
can't get close to that performance yet, and getting the performance
and making it cheap enough to issue widely will take even longer.

Of course better algorithims, Moore's Law, etc will make it happen
soon enough.

--
 Eric Murray www.lne.com/~ericm  ericm at the site lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5