At 10:53 PM -0400 4/23/00, Robert Guerra wrote:
>At 7:07 PM -0700 2000/4/23,  wrote:
>
>>Please don't send a large file like your newsletter to a mailing
>>list with several hundred subscribers!
>>
>>Thank you.

>It isn't my newsletter, and thought it might be of interest. I
>guess I was wrong. My apologies.
>
>(hope it doesn't get me in trouble with the folks on here)

I was the one Robert quoted.

The message was 48K. That's a l-a-r-g-e file. The average file size
for a Cypherpunk message is about 2K. It used to be that many mail
systems choked at about 24-30K for a single message. For readers who
are on low-speed connections, a 48K file may take minutes to download.

Any message of this size should be given as a URL, or with just
enough stuff quoted so people can decide whether they want to
subscribe or not.

Sadly, this list and some other lists I'm on are increasingly
dominated by advertising spam, forwarded articles, unsuscrive
requests, "help me make bombs" bait from low-level LEOs, and
twittering from nitwits.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.