At 10:19 AM -0700 6/13/00, Michael Motyka wrote:
>  > > Personally, I think they ought to be tracked down and dealt with more
>>  > directly. Cops who solicit illegalities need to be dealt with directly.
>>  >
>>  > But that's just my opinion.
>>
>>  I think it should just be considered entrapment and made unusable in
>>  court. That would end the problem right there.
>>
>That is the only acceptable way to treat entrapment.

The only acceptable way to treat entrapment?

I have several other methods which are acceptable in my moral universe:

Firstly, prosecute those who entrap by committing crimes for the
crimes. Cops who solicit to buy sex should be prosecuted thusly.
Those who buy alcohol when underage are prosecuted thusly. Those who
solicit bomb-making instructions are prosecuted under the Feinswine
laws, if they are passed.

The notion that cops can break the law by soliciting for sex and then
be exempt from prosecution, or can buy drugs and be exempt from drug
laws, is why we have so much entrapment.

Secondly, there are more direct and final solutions to the problem of
entrapment.

Trusting the courts to throw out entrapments is a weak solution.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.