UniBlab ran up a $500 LD bill using my calling card.
The little darling.

----

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/172
#
#    Spam war gags Gilmore
#
#    Verio cuts off EFF co-founder John Gilmore over open mail server.
#    By Kevin Poulsen March 15, 2001 5:19 PM PT
#
#    Aggressive anti-spam measures by Dallas-based ISP Verio have
#    stripped some of the Internet's digerati of the ability to send
#    email, and EFF co-founder John Gilmore is calling it censorship.
#
#    Gilmore's home network includes what anti-spam crusaders call
#    an "open relay" -- a mail server that accepts and forwards email
#    from anyone. For decades, the practice was considered central
#    to good network citizenship. But in recent years, spammers have
#    begun hijacking open relays to multiply, sometimes a thousand
#    fold, the number of junk messages they can send at once.
#
#    That abuse sparked a campaign by anti-spam activists to close
#    the open relays, a campaign that Gilmore, an entrepreneur,
#    electronic civil libertarian, and co-founder of the Electronic
#    Frontier Foundation (EFF), has little use for.
#
#    "It reminds me of the X-ray machines they have in airports and
#    the security checks they put people through," says Gilmore. "It
#    doesn't actually solve the problem, it just infringes on the
#    rights of the innocent."
#
#    Even as commercial ISPs began tightening down their mail servers
#    -- rejecting outgoing mail from non-subscribers, and forcing
#    subscribers to electronically prove their identity before sending
#    mail -- Gilmore kept his own mail server open to the world, a
#    service he says his friends have come to rely on.
#
#    "Part of the reason my friends are using my machine is their
#    own ISPs' anti-spam measures prevent them from sending email
#    as they move around in the world," says Gilmore. "If one user
#    connects to my machine from an unknown address and sends a
#    message, my machine forwards it on. It's happy to. That could
#    be John Perry Barlow sending email from Africa to his girlfriend."
#
#    Gilmore says he shuts down spammers when he detects them, but
#    acknowledges that some junk mail gets through his system. Late
#    last month, one such spam message -- from a would-be entrepreneur
#    offering professional spamming services to the public -- resulted
#    in a complaint to Gilmore's ISP, Verio, from an anti-spam group.
#
#    Verio's sweeping acceptable-use policy prohibits open relays.
#    When Gilmore refused to put fetters on his mail server, the
#    company's security department slapped a filter on Gilmore's T1
#    net connection Wednesday, blocking outgoing email from his
#    network.
#
#    A Verio spokesperson did not return a telephone call Thursday.
#    Verio security team leader Darren Grabowski declined to comment.
#    "What we do is between us and our customer," said Grabowski.
#
#    Anti-spam pressure Gilmore believes anti-spam efforts have gone
#    too far, and impact the rights of innocent people. "Verio is
#    filtering me because they were pressured by a pressure group,
#    and they don't have enough intelligence to stand up against that
#    pressure."
#
#    But the head of the anti-spam business that forwarded the
#    complaint to Verio last month says the ISP did the right thing.
#
#    "It's been a very long time since open relays were considered
#    acceptable on the net," says Julian Haight, owner of SpamCop.net.
#    "On today's Internet, things have changed considerably."
#
#    SpamCop.net lets netizens easily and automatically track and
#    report spammers and open relays, and maintains a blacklist of
#    network addresses the company considers spam-friendly. Haight
#    acknowledges the influence his organization, and other anti-spam
#    efforts, can exert on an ISP, but he says no one has a right
#    to operate a service that lends a hand to spammers.
#
#    "Freedom of speech is not 100 percent," says Haight. "You're
#    not allowed to come into my home to preach to me... Open servers
#    are responsible for making copies of unsolicited commercial emails
#    and sending it to people who don't want it."
#
#    Gilmore argues that by making decisions about what to allow or
#    disallow over their network, ISPs risk losing the common carrier
#    status that protects them from legal liability for their
#    customer's actions.
#
#    "Ultimately, they should be a pipe. They shouldn't care what
#    content goes through. For them to say, well, we'll send your
#    IP packets... except when you send this particular type of IP
#    packet, it takes them out of the realm of a common carrier,"
#    says Gilmore. "That puts the entire Internet in jeopardy."

    6/13/2000 Hannity & Colmbes, Representive Dan Burton, giving his
    URL to where he put a report critical of Clinton on the WWW:

        "It's at indiana.com"

    [confers with someone off-screen]

        "It's at indiana.gov.com"