On Friday, October 11, 2019, 02:26:27 PM PDT, John Newman <j...@synfin.org>
wrote:

 On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 09:05:00PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
> Somebody asked me a question, but because I am far from being an expert, I
> couldn't answer.   Suppose a person wanted to implement a TOR node, simply by
> buying some box, and plugging it into his modem, and power.  And NOT needing
> to become an expert on TOR, or even on computers in general.  And NOT having
> to follow pages and pages of instructions.   I did a few minutes of
> searching, and even the 'simple' explanations seemed 'clear as mud'.
> Don't bother with long explanations challenging the usefulness, or
> trustworthiness of TOR.   Yes, we've discussed them to death.  That's a
> different subject.                    Jim Bell

>On FreeBSD, it's as simple as running the following commands as root

># install tor
 pkg install tor

># set appropriate variables, there aren't too many to get going and
# you can find them all well documented
 vi /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc

># update your rc.conf so the service will start at boot, then start it
 sysrc tor_enable=YES
 service tor start

>For an idea of what the torrc file should look like, here is mine with a
few bits XXX'd out. My node is specifically configured not to allow exit
traffic because it was generating a lot of complaints upstream about my
host trying to hack peoples shit, etc :)

># cat /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc | egrep -v "^$|^#"
SocksPort 9050
SocksPolicy accept 127.0.0.1
SocksPolicy reject *
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
RunAsDaemon 1
DataDirectory /var/db/tor
ControlPort 9051
HashedControlPassword XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ORPort 9023
Exitpolicy reject *:*  # too many complaints :)
Nickname twentysevendollars
Address wintermute.synfin.org
OutboundBindAddress 198.154.106.54
RelayBandwidthRate 3265 KBytes  # playing with this
RelayBandwidthBurst 4355 KBytes # ditto
ContactInfo 0CA8B961 John Torman <tor @ synfin dot org>
DirPort 9030 # what port to advertise for directory connections
MyFamily XXXXXXXXXXXXX

>If you were doing this on Linux, it would be much the same. Replace the
"pkg install" with "apt-get install" or "yum install" or whatever, you
might have to add a tor repo or something. The config file probably
won't live under /usr/local/etc/tor, but just /etc/tor, and you'll use
systemctl rather than just updating the rc.conf with sysrc.

>I would not recommend you run an exit node from your home ;)

Yes, even years ago I was aware that a person shouldn't try to run an Exit node
on a home setup.  Although, I wonder if it has been tried?   Sounds like a good
beginning for a Wired article?   After writing that, I found:
https://blog.torproject.org/tips-running-exit-node       No way!!!

But you didn't answer my question.  I said a simple box, and that is precisely
what I meant.   Power, Ethernet.  Plug into existing Modem.   Okay, I would
understand it if the operator had to link it to the network by accessing a web
page and informing them of the new IP address, but that's the level of
complexity I was thinking about.  (Except for a box that already "knows" how to
link up and start running.)
Could one of the problems with the TOR network be that only "experts" are
likely to participate?
Also note:  I am referring to a situation where a person does not need, and
does not want, the benefit of TOR for himself;  Just wants to add his "brick in
the wall" to the nodes.  Has a spare $100 or so for the box, and has
unlimited-usage gigabit/second Internet service.  (I see that Centurylink
provides them for $65/month, probably subject to tax, as well.)
                   Jim Bell