On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:08:03PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> There are some ageing dinosauruses that still use TUIs and even the more
> archaic mbox "all emails in this folder in a single file" email storage, and
> to distressingly admit to the truly ancient practice of "grep"ing an mbox
> file when mutt's search feature is just so dang diddly ang dang SLOW on a
> 20,000+ email folder (and that's barely 4 years of cypherpunks!).

Anyone have experience or suggestions on reasonable ways to print/dump the
output of 'multiple commands being run in parallel' to the command line/
terminal?

For example, mpop can download emails from multiple email accounts in parallel
(it uses separate email UID files per account to isolate its download activity
to a single email account), but how to actually do this in parallel -and-
display the output of each command 'in real time' in a single terminal in a
"reasonable" way?

I've a little wrapper that retries up to MAX_TRIES=7 if an mpop account
download has a TLS error (gmail pop3 dl producing a lot of these the last week
or so...), and 7 retries * 5 lines of text per retry (retry header, date time
stamp, echo of cmd being run, and finally the 2 mpop "TLS handshake failed"
error lines) is a fair few lines of output...

is it time to learn a 'full blown' TUI library?  If so, is there such a thing
usable from a shell script?