> On Monday, June 29, 2020, 09:50:46 AM PDT, Karl <gmk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Jim put a lot of energy here into replying to a joke.
>
> I'm not aware that:
>
> "Scientists in China managed to exchange a crypto key at a distance of over
> 1,000 kilometers"
>
>>"Wow!"
>
>>"How can they do that?"
>
> is a joke.
>
> Actually this 50% a joke 50% serious, since the initial article did not
> mention anything about using Quantum Entanglement and so as such the
> challenged looked as if we were in ... 1820...

now for the 50% seriousity, I wonder how they can really use quantum
entanglement at such a distance ... I am sceptical there and it would be
marvelous if they really achieved what they claim they achieved... quantum
entanglement over more than 1,000 km of distance... you flip a bit, it gets
'instantaneously' flipped on an other part of the world, located at 1,200 km
distance, information without matter movement, at a speed (much) faster than
light.

I got the explaination from Jim, still besides the obvious issues with the
cables etc... such phenomenon as quantum entanglement relies on very complex
experimentation and so I am not convinced at all that what they exchanged (
cryptohgraphic keys but in that context doesn't relaly matter ) was not used by
"ordinary" communication, eg with matter displacement.