On Monday, November 16, 2020, 02:59:25 PM PST, professor rat
<pro2...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

 >A quote from All Quiet on the Western Front

>Its just silly to say Hackers alone created the basis for AP

One inspiration for my AP essay was the Wizard of Oz:  Dorothy and her friends
approach the Wizard, asking for the various things they want.  His response?
"Bring me the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West, and I'll grant your
request!".   One of the friends observes, as I recall, 'to do that, we'll have
to kill her!'.  So, giving a reward for killing a common enemy might have come
from this.
Many decades ago, the movie was shown on television, yearly, I think in the
late fall.  My mother once observed that I first saw it, perhaps when I was 18
months old, perhaps October 1959.  She said that this showing was the first
time I'd been quiet for 2 straight hours since I was born.  I probably watched
that movie for 20 years in a row for the next two decades.
            Jim Bell