That report of a room-temp, ambient pressure superconductor is amazing

         Jim Bell

  On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 2:52 PM, grarpamp<grarp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Superconductors, Aliens, AI, Genetic Compilers, Quantum... Singularity.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2307.12008.pdf
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2307.12037.pdf

For the first time in the world, we succeeded in synthesizing
the room-temperature superconductor (Tc  400 K, 127 oC)
working at ambient pressure with a modified lead-apatite (LK-99) structure.

A material called LK-99®, a modified-lead apatite crystal structure with
the composition (Pb10-xCux(PO4)6O (0.9<x<1.1)), has been synthesized
using the solid-state method. The material exhibits the Ohmic metal
characteristic of Pb(6s1) above its superconducting critical temperature,
Tc, and the levitation phenomenon as Meissner effect of a superconductor
at room temperature and atmospheric pressure below Tc.

Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
Making frozen coffee @cometeer Prev @PrincetonPhys

Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
17h
Today might have seen the biggest physics discovery of my lifetime. I
don't think people fully grasp the implications of an ambient
temperature / pressure superconductor. Here's how it could totally
change our lives.
1,809
16,033
3,671
89,533
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
4m
The more I read this the more bullish I get. Kim really believes and
is just out there saying go try it. There is something here for sure
Ate-a-Pi @8teAPi
1h
It’s real. He’s putting his name on the line. Basically saying the
papers are crap, the team has infighting.. probably over credit. The 3
man paper hit arxiv 2.5 hours before the 6 author paper. He’ll assist
other groups in verifying. He’s on email.
archive.is/2023.07.26-181113…
1
12
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
13m
The option space here is very wide. We have an extremely rough
understanding of High Tc superconductivity in cuprate-like lattices.
It is fully possible we are seeing new physics (albeit shoddily
conducted/hastily published) that doesn't exactly match previous
materials.
2
1
15
Alex Kaplan retweeted
Anatoly Vorobey @avorobey
4h
Replying to @alexkaplan0
1
5
74
Alex Kaplan retweeted
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
23m
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted @jjaron @Dereklowe
@mattwridley @kchangnyt @DrCarpineti
Sounds like serious drama btw Kim and the other researchers. He was
left off the 3 person paper, uploaded 2 hrs earlier. Doesn't
invalidate results - if anything makes it seem like they care even
more?
Ate-a-Pi @8teAPi
1h
It’s real. He’s putting his name on the line. Basically saying the
papers are crap, the team has infighting.. probably over credit. The 3
man paper hit arxiv 2.5 hours before the 6 author paper. He’ll assist
other groups in verifying. He’s on email.
archive.is/2023.07.26-181113…
1
7
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
47m
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted @jjaron @Dereklowe
@mattwridley @kchangnyt
cautious excitement from @DrCarpineti iflscience.com/first-room-te…
First Room-Temperature Ambient-Pressure Superconductor Achieved, Claim
Scientists

Someone with a lab please try to reproduce these results so we know if
we should pop the champagne.
iflscience.com
1
3
13
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
48m
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted @jjaron @Dereklowe
@mattwridley
@kchangnyt discusses a lot of failed superconductor research along
with the recent paper here. Not sure I agree with the framing, this is
pretty different nytimes.com/2023/07/26/scien…
A Looming Retraction Casts a Shadow Over a Field of Physics

Misconduct allegations are leading scientists to question the work of
Ranga Dias, including his claimed discovery of a room-temperature
superconductor.
nytimes.com
1
9
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
52m
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted @jjaron @Dereklowe
reasonable skepticism from @mattwridley spectator.co.uk/article/why-…
Why I’m sceptical about a superconductor breakthrough

A team of South Korean scientists has pre-printed a paper asserting
that they have achieved superconductivity at room temperature and
atmospheric pressure. The paper has led to widespread speculation...
spectator.co.uk
1
1
7
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
If I had to pick one, it'd be something like @VEIR_Grid. Commercial
power transmission on short distances for very high value delivery.
Use it as a wedge to build experience in transmission and build
towards interregional, interstate, nationwide, with IRA funding.
4
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
TAM is very hard to know across sectors, but certainly venture-scale
across infrastructure, medicine, science tooling (a whole new LHC?),
and QC. Probably have to partner with someone deep in the field for an
understanding of the business cases.
2
3
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
The easiest thing to start is a shopify storefront like this one I got
RBCO disks for my birthday from. @harleyf what do you think? You do
the branding, I do the supply? If you can get access to a vacuum,
should be easy to make. CC @andrewmccalip
1
3
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
Commercial-scale integrations will likely take major rearchitecting of
existing transmission/power electronics. I don't see factories
installing LK-99 before EOY. That's where the money is at scale, but
potentially some moats in B2B access/rolodex.
1
3
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
Here is how I would spend the replication interregnum as an
entrepreneur. First what are going to be the binding early
constraints? Production of material will be shoddy and inconsistent
until better methods developed, but demand will be high.
1
1
10
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan retweeted
Seth Rosenberg @SethGRosenberg
1h
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @alexkaplan
Cheers independent.co.uk/tech/super…
Scientists might have made the ‘biggest physics discovery of a
lifetime’ – or not

Breakthrough would mark ‘holy grails of modern physics, unlocking
major new developments in energy, transportation, healthcare, and
communications’ – but it is a long way from being proven
independent.co.uk
1
2
12
Alex Kaplan retweeted
Douglas Natelson @NanoscaleViews
1h
Replying to @alexkaplan0
Yeah, and really big diamagnetism could be weird and interesting.
1
1
7
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
If I were to guess what's going on, it's that fig. 4.a is just sloppy
like the rest of that paper and they forgot the to add the S.I.
notation
1
3
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @NanoscaleViews
These are figures 4a in arxiv:2307.12037 and 1d in arxiv:2307.12008,
respectively
1
5
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted @jjaron
the plot thickens
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
This is the first serious flaw I have seen investigated in the pair of
papers. There is a difference by a factor of 7,500 between these two
otherwise similar graphs. These show both results 36x more diamagnetic
than graphite and crudely mislabelled axes. All cred @NanoscaleViews
Show this thread
2
1
12
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
1h
This is the first serious flaw I have seen investigated in the pair of
papers. There is a difference by a factor of 7,500 between these two
otherwise similar graphs. These show both results 36x more diamagnetic
than graphite and crudely mislabelled axes. All cred @NanoscaleViews
Douglas Natelson @NanoscaleViews
2h
1/8 A thread on magnetic susceptibility data in the papers of the
moment. Magnetic susceptibility tells us about how much magnetization
M (mag moment per volume) a material develops when placed in a
magnetic field H. \chi = dM/dH. Annoyingly, cgs and SI units are
different.
Show this thread
3
3
46
Show this thread
Alex Kaplan @alexkaplan0
2h
Replying to @alexkaplan0 @condensed_the @sandersted
@jjaron with a few quotes in new scientist
Jacob Aron @jjaron
2h
Hello to new followers - here's the story you've been waiting for
newscientist.com/article/238…
1
9
Show this thread