https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/03/adrienne-harris-is-cryptos-most-powerful-regulator.html

Victor Llorente
Thirteen years after the birth of cryptocurrency, it was supposed to be
time for Washington to rein it in. Instead, the White House punted, and the
Securities and Exchange Commission is still hashing out how it’s going to
oversee the $2 trillion industry. State watchdogs have filled that vacuum,
making Adrienne Harris, the head of the New York State Department of
Financial Services, by default the most powerful crypto regulator in the
country.

While states such as Florida and Wyoming have adopted a laissez-faire
approach to regulation, attracting a sizable chunk of the booming industry,
more money and jobs are still flowing into New York than any other city,
making it the de facto crypto capital of the U.S. “There’s a misconception
that having rigorous regulation turns off innovative companies,” Harris
tells me during an hour-long interview at her office looking out onto the
Statue of Liberty last month. “That hasn’t been our experience here.”