On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Bill Stewart wrote:

> Of course, much of this may be a play by the "Senior US Defense Officials"
> to make sure he gets the point and does resign,
> rather than commentary by the news media,
> and/or an attempt to distance themselves from a couple of
> unpopular programs by sticking it on the designated fall guy,
> but it still couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I think there's a lot in the game to that.  He *will* resign,
he won't be fired :-)

> The real question is whether the administration and officials
> that rehired Poindexter and hired Ashcroft and Homeland Security
> will continue the same kinds of attacks on US civil liberties
> now that he's gone, and unfortunately, the answer is presumably yes.

That has nothing to do with it.  The pentagon had a choice, fire
Poindexter or lose all of DARPA.  DARPA  has a lot of cool programs that
are too important to lose, and Poindexter was giving them bad publicity.
>From congres's perspective, choping off $2.5 billion to get rid of
Poindexter was no big deal.  For the pentagon it is a big deal.  So they
rid themselves of Poindexter and save everything else.  Even Rumsfeld can
understand that :-)

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike