At 03:26 AM 6/20/00 -0400, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>Not-invented-here is no excuse.
>
>In the crypto world, it used to be a decent excuse, because the
>No Such Agency did have a lot more crypto experience than the civilian world,
>and lots of people in commercial space kept reinventing the same snake oil.
>It's not true any more (certainly nobody's sold snake oil in decades! :-),
>but old habits die hard.  So we lose national security secrets because of it.

I was starting to suspect it had to do with key management, if
different (unknown beforehand) people would need the disks, depending
on the crisis.  They could have/should have kept the passphrases written
on paper in another vault, or used a (more complex) PK scheme.

But *why bother* when you're in the middle of a nuke factory,
surrounded by extremely well-checked out people and extremely
well guarded because of the isotopes if not the data?