Here's a site comparing corn to other fuels:
http://burncorn.com/CountrysideCostAnalysis.php

And realize that organic/sustainable agriculture is gaining ground rapidly, at
least in the US and Europe, and they *can* grow crops with equal or higher
yeilds than chemically dependant farmers. So the environmental "issue" is really
a straw horse.
   Besides which, there are a great many other non-traditional crops which yeild
far better than corn. Take cattails, for instance.
http://newcrop.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Typha.html
Yields of 1000-4700 gallons per acre (depending on climate and how many crops
per year) are possible. Most farmers here in WI have portions of fields which
are unusable in wet years -- don't fight nature, go with the flow, stop draining
those areas and plant them to cattail instead. Simple stuff -- just a lack of
knowledge, really.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix