PRESS RELEASE For immediate release
Date: February 7, 2002 Contact: Emmaia Gelman (917) 617-4030
CITY PAYS ACTIVISTS $469K IN "PUNISHMENT OF DISSENT" LAWSUIT Days after 
detaining WEF protesters & journalists, City pays for violating first 
amendment.
New York City � City lawyers today agreed to pay approximately $469,000 in 
damages and legal costs to activists arrested in a 1999 Diallo-related 
protest. The twelve activists were jailed for over 24 hours � a common 
experience for dissenters under the Giuliani administration � instead of 
receiving summonses in accordance with NYPD practice for non-political 
arrests.
The lawsuit alleged that the City targeted political protesters for 
punishment by imposing pre-trial jail time for charges that carry no jail 
sentence. Social justice organizers believe that as many as 800 such 
detentions of protesters may have occurred between 1999 and 2001, and that 
each instance was illegal and violated First Amendment rights.
�The City blatantly targeted demonstrators who criticized Giuliani or the 
NYPD,� said Mary Elizebeth Bartholomew, a plaintiff in the lawsuit and an 
attorney in the Brehon Law Society. �On that day, we stood as 
Irish-Americans protesting racism in the NYPD, drawing parallels between 
policing in New York City and brutal, racist policing in the North of 
Ireland which targets Irish Catholics. Today we stand with the multitudes 
of poor people, youth, people of color, people with AIDS, queers and 
immigrants who were targeted for silencing by the Giuliani administration.�
�When we started hearing about protesters being jailed overnight in 1998, 
it added to a laundry list of Giuliani anti-speech practices which included 
slapping protesters with excessive charges, halting demonstrations in 
mid-stream, and arresting organizers in the middle of a protest to create 
chaos,� said Emmaia Gelman, a plaintiff and a member of Irish Queers. 
�Overnight detention was a weapon in a very obvious war on dissent.�
The written order to jail protesters was uncovered last May by the New York 
Civil Liberties Union in a separate lawsuit. Previously, it was apparently 
hidden even from City lawyers. Rather than defend the policy, the City 
rescinded it in July 2001.
In today's settlement, the City agreed never to reinstate the policy. 
However, the settlement comes just days after the NYPD similarly detained 
demonstrators and independent journalists arrested at the World Economic 
Forum, leaving questions about a continuation of the illegal NYPD practice. 

Reply via email to