This is a second paper written for a working group for a conference in
Duesseldorf, Germany. Anti Globalisation, World Wide Class Struggle In the
last two years (since Seattle) the left, in Europe as elsewhere, have been
successful in a few noteworthy mobilisations, that would not have been
thought possible before. The high point was surely forcing the closure of
the IMF / WB Summit in Prague, where 11,000 cops didn't get there to stop
us form attacking the summit. However at the end of the day, such
successful actions are just symbolic attacks. The premature ending of such
a summit hinders the daily functioning of Capitalism, however not the
Capital valorisation process. A movement that really wants to place the
capitalist system in question, has to leave the symbolic plane, and attack
the capitalist relations in the everyday life of exploitation and need. It
is clear that this can't be done on a big scale, with what is understood as
the 'anti-globalisation movement'. Up till now, after the militant
Anti-globalisation demos, we return obediently to our every everyday lives
where we work and pay for everything. A movement can however begin to
attack the foundations of the power, if it places precisely this everyday
exploitation in question - i.e.: if we, as the working class, who reproduce
this system daily, get into movement. Where we keep the machines running
through our daily work, we could also bring them to a stand still. That has
only got the prospect of long term success if such struggles take place on
an international level, relating to each other. This perspective can often
appears to us here in Germany to be very unrealistic, because with us the
ruling class seems to be so firmly in the saddle as nowhere else. So it may
not be noticed, that capitalism is in a global crisis, that compels the
world working class to fight. In different corners of the world the
struggle is breaking out, whereby the usual mechanisms spring into action,
to channel, integrate and render harmless the protests. It is not only in
other countries, but also here with us that struggles take place, and they
have a certain tendency, to become more similar to each other. In order to
show this, we want to introduce in this working group, examples of
different class struggles world wide: For example in Argentina: The land
know as the model land of Neo-liberalism and complies with the conditions
of the IMF, with brutal austerity measures at the cost of the people. For
years there have been uprisings and occupied factories in different parts
of the country. A movement of the unemployed began to get organised and
block the major roads with burning barricades. There was little focus -
until the rage exploded on the 19 and 20 December in a common peoples
uprising, which overturned the government. In the next two weeks, five
presidents took the role and immediately resigned in fast succession. The
old apparatus of parties and unions had nothing to say. The people
organised themselves, in the streets, in workplaces, in groups in their
city neighbourhoods. For example in Paris: At the end of October 2001 the
longest strike in a fast food company began in the McDonalds branch in
Paris, it ended after 115 days, with success: The sacked people, who were
the trigger point for the strike, came back to work after a court
judgement, on top of that they got the back-pay for when they were on
strike and negotiations over wage increases for the 800 McDonalds branches
in France are under way. The strike had wide support. There were
demonstrations every Saturday in front of the McDonalds branches. Other
fast-food outlets in France have also got to striking point, and employees
have started to organise themselves across different companies. McDonalds
will no longer be the exhausted symbol of the `American way of life`, but
as exploiter and the sharp end of the precarianisation of the work
relations. (See the leaflet that was distributed in German McDonalds on:
www.prol-position.net). For example Brighton: After the privatisation of
the bin men, the workers refused to implement the increased work standards.
They were sacked and occupied the factory in June 2001. Together with
supporters they prevented the trucks with scabs, from driving out through
the picket lines. A successful action: the contract with the private firm
was terminated, the sacked workers were taken on again, the wages for the
time of the occupation were paid and the pre-privatisation work standards
were re-introduced. (See report in Wildcat-Zirkular Nr 59/60, Summer 2001,
www.wildcat-www.de). For example Cologne: in front of an office block, in
November 2001 twenty Turkish men and women danced in the rain to the rhythm
of drums and flutes. "An end to the exploitation" read the banners. The
target of the demo was a call centre running an 'ethno-marketing' business:
Turkish speaking workers selling telecom products to Turkish speaking
customers. When the workers tried to set up a works council (similar to a
union) the company reacted with dismissals. The remaining colleagues did
not venture out onto the street too, but must have been pleased with the
loud and strong demonstration. Support from the German side was
unfortunately not forthcoming. For example. In the working group we want
examine the question of how we can keep up with such struggles, what they
have to do with us and how we can relate to them. Work-shy
Internationalists of Ehrenfeld.