On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 07:44  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:
> Tim: I advise you to get up to speed on this stuff.

I think I'm more up to speed on small detectors than I want to be
(through my involvement with an ultrawideband company).

But I misunderstood the discussions about currency being tagged vs.
wallets with transponders. (Which I don't see Joe Sixpack ever adopting
in our lifetimes, for multiple of the usual reasons.)

>> Further, placing the notes in a simple aluminum foil pouch, or a wallet
>> with equivalent lining, would cut any detectable signals by maybe 30-50
>> dB.
>>
> Most people don't, and won't do this. You may not worry about the
> sheeple,
> but I do.

I figure the sheeple will mostly take of themselves. And, in fact, they
do, through a kind of collective recoiling from certain things, coupled
with monkeywrenching, deliberate misuse, etc.

The "interesting" part of the space of uses of digital money is
certainly, for me at least, not in the "wallets with transponders so
that Big Brother can track your cash."

Selective disclosure of information (SDI) and all that stuff.

If wallets carry RF ZKIPS communication capabilities, as they probably
will, the designed range will be small. And the wallet will probably
have to be "enabled."

What I would picture is something like this: Alice approaches a kiosk or
transfer point of some sort. She pulls out her SmartWallet (TM), enters
a PIN or fingerprint, which turns on the device for some number of
seconds, aims it at (or actually inserts it into) a receiver, and a
ZKIPS protocol begins firing back and forth.

(Some here have said the Hitachi tags are passive. Fine. Useful for
things like tracking railroad boxcars or shipping containers, where
attaching a battery would be more expensive, less reliable, and too much
work. But for a smart card or Smart Wallet, there will be active
processing _anyway_ (as the account balance changes, as PINs are
entered, etc.), so having a small battery, perhaps
light-rechargeable (*), is OK. (* Smart cards already have this. I have
a thin credit card calculator from the early 80s that works this way.)

And as in that standard example of "capabilities," she doesn't say
"please look inside my wallet and take what you need." Rather, she
authorizes a specific amount or limit (she extends a capability right,
rather than an access right).

The engineers of such SmartWallets will not give them more range than
the protocol needs. Extra range costs money. If Alice is expected to
insert her Smart Wallet into a receptacle (for security, if for nothing
else), initiating the protocol from several meters away is not in the
cards, so to speak.

If someone is arguing that such Smart Wallets will merely be passive
"announcers" of bank balances, this is just too naive to waste
discussion time on. Good luck selling such a system.

--Tim May
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize
Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of
conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams