Title: RE: Re: disk encryption modes (Re: RE: Two ideas for random number generation)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 12:11 PM
Subject: CDR: RE: Re: disk encryption modes (Re: RE: Two ideas for random number generation)

Instead of adding 16 bytes to the size of each sector for sector IV's how about having a separate file (which could be stored on a compact flash card, CDRW or other portable media) that contains the IV's for each disk sector?

Not a very good solution.

You could effectively wipe the encrypted disk merely by wiping the IV file, which would be much faster than securely erasing the entire disk.

Actually that wouldn't work, at least not in CBC mode (which is certainly my, and seems to be generally favored for disk encryption). In CBC mode, not having the IV (setting the IV to 0) only destroys the first block, after that everything decrypts normally, so the only wiped portion of the sector is the first block.

If the IV file was not available, decryption would be impossible even if the main encryption key was rubberhosed it otherwise leaked. This could be a very desirable feature for the tinfoil-hat-LINUX crowd--as long as you have posession if the compact flash card with the IV file, an attacker with your laptop isn't going to get far cracking your encryption, especially if you have the driver constructed to use a dummy IV file on the laptop somewhere after X number of failed passphrase entries to provide plausible deniability for the existence of the compact flash card.

And then the attacker would just get all of your file except the first block (assuming the decryption key is found).

To keep the IV file size reasonable, you might want to encrypt logical blocks (1K-8K, depending on disk size, OS, and file system used, vs 512 bytes) instead of individual sectors, especially if the file system thinks in terms of blocks instead of sectors. I don't see the value of encrypting below the granularity of what the OS is ever going to write to disk.

That is a possibility, and actually I'm sure it's occurred to the hard drive manufacturers that the next time they do a full overhaul of the wire protocol they should enable larger blocks (if they haven't already, like I said before, I'm not a hard drive person). This would serve them very well as they would have to store less information increasing the disk size producible per cost (even if not by much every penny counts when you sell a billion devices). Regardless this could be useful for the disk encryption, but assuming worst case won't lose us anything in the long run, and should enable the best case to be done more easily, so for the sake of simplicity, and satisfying the worst case, I'll keep on calling them sectors until there's a reason not to.

                                Joe